SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, December 13, 2017

What I Read in 2017

My friends and family ask for book recommendations from me a lot actually, so I thought it would be nice to put together a list of the books I not only read this year, but enjoyed! Something to keep in mind however: everyone has their own taste when it comes to books, so what I like may not be best for you. I learned just that this past year after joining a book club of ladies quite a bit older than me. It's been so fun to read books I would have never picked, but really ended up enjoying as part of this group. So, a lot of these books have been read as part of that club and some I chose on my own. Another thing to mention is that I really don't finish a book if I don't like it, so I can attest that I would recommend each and every one of these books (except for maybe the last three since I'm still reading them but I'll hopefully update you all on my thoughts about those in the future)! Side note: this list would make a perfect list for a monthly book club in the future since there are exactly 12 books :)


Invincible Summer by Alice Adams- A novel which follows four friends in London over two or three decades. I absolutely loved this one because it was so realistic and I really resonated with the whole entering adulthood aspect of it. 
The Girl Who Escaped ISIS by Farida Khalaf- As sad and eye-opening as the title implies, the nonfiction story of an Iraqi teenage girl  who's whole town and family are torn apart by ISIS and how she finds her way to safety.
Eight Hundred Grapes by Laura Davis- A little silliness, a little female empowerment, a little romance, and a lot about how to run a vineyard. After reading this book, I finally understood how much work goes into a single bottle of wine and why certain ones are so expensive!
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins- Okay if you haven't heard of this one, I don't really know what to tell you. Definitely suspenseful and way better than I expected, couldn't put it down!
The Passenger by Lisa Lutz- This novel follows a woman switching identities over and over as she tries to run from her past. If you liked Girl on the Train, you might like this one since it's also suspenseful but it was a little slower towards the end.
The Hopefuls by Jennifer Close- The story of two young couples who become close living in fast paced and competitive DC. I read this one after visiting DC because I thought it would be fun to know where everything took place and I really enjoyed learning about how the presidential administration is so cut-thoat from this!
The Clancy's of Queens by Tara Clancy- An autobiography which describes Tara Clancy's childhood in Queens, New York. This is one of the ones I never would have picked up on my own, but I really enjoyed. She has a lot of funny stories so if you want a book that makes you laugh, you'll like this one!
Where'd You Go Bernadette by Maria Semple- This novel follows a young girl in Seattle searching to find where her outrageous and quirky, homebody mother has run off to. This book and the next one the list were probably my favorite from all year! Where'd You Go Bernadette was honestly so funny and feel good if you can accept some silliness as well!
Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter- Another funny romance novel, with some serious notes about the convergence of old and new Hollywood and the story of a young Italian man falling for a sick American actress in a small fishing village in the 1960s. This book has so many layers and characters that truly surprise you, I loved it!
The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown - The nonfiction story of how the University of Washington rowing team won the gold medal at the 1936 Berlin Olympics. I picked this one up because Carly said it was the best book she ever read. I actually didn't finish this one but I hope to return to it when I have more time because I really did enjoy it, it's just a little long. One of my favorite books is Unbroken and they read very similarly so I know I'll love it!

What I'm Currently Reading: 
The Yellow House by Patricia Falvey
Let it Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle
The City Baker's Guide to Country Living by Louise Miller- So so so so excited to start reading this one because the main character's name is Olivia and it's been described as basically Gilmore Girls and I'm all about it!


I read way more this year than I have in so long and I'm so happy about it! Reading is so much better than spending time watching TV or scrolling through socials, but sometimes I forget that. What great books did you read this year? I need some recommendations for next year!

xoxo, Olivia

No comments :

Post a Comment