SOCIAL MEDIA

Wednesday, November 22, 2017

NYC Day One: Dumbo + Financial District

Finally getting around to blogging our short mother daughter trip to New York City we took back in September! My mother travels for work and her company signed on a new client in New York back in September. Since she had never been to the city by herself, she asked me if I'd join her for the weekend to get the feel of how to ride the subway, little things like that, and obviously just to have fun! Of course I immediately said yes and began to plan what we should see. 

We flew into LaGuardia late Thursday night and stayed at a hotel in the financial district close to where my mom's meeting was the next day. I had Friday all to myself since my mom was in meetings all day so I decided to try and walk to as many places as I could from our hotel. First off, I haven't been to the city since 9th grade and I remember absolutely hating it then because it was so hot and all I saw was Times Square and the United Nations haha! So this time was a much different experience for me. The weather was absolutely perfect and I was obviously much more confident walking around on my own as an adult! After leaving the hotel, I was so amazed by how narrow the streets were in the financial district and how absolutely busy EVERYONE looked. I didn't want to look like a nerdy tourist and refused to keep my eyes glued to my phone for directions so I just headed northeast. By some miracle, I was able to make it to the Brooklyn Bridge (with some help from a friendly doorman who pointed me to the entrance of the pedestrian overpass)! I knew I wanted to see Brooklyn a bit so I started walking. 


The walk was lovely and felt so New York. If you've never walked the Brooklyn Bridge, you should try and factor in time to if you find yourself in the city. And come on, how funny are these signs #LoxNotLocks 


After making it over the bridge, I explored the Dumbo area of Brooklyn for a bit. Fun fact: Dumbo stands for down under the Manhattan Bridge overpass. 


Over course I had to stop by this street which you've probably seen pictures of a million times. I kid you not, pretty much everyone pictured in the photo was trying to get an instagram shot with this background, but who can blame them because this view is gorgeous! And if you're thinking that building on the left looks familiar...


You've probably watched too much Gossip Girl like me :)

       

Next I stopped into One Girl Cookies, a bakery and coffee shop I had heard about in a Youtube video about Dumbo. This was seriously the best iced vanilla late I've ever had in my life and the place is just so cute. 

After a while, I decided to head back over the bridge into the financial district. I walked around the shops on Broadway near St. Paul's Chapel, aka the prettiest Anthro I've ever been in, Zara, and Urban Outfitters. After a few hours, I started to walk back to our hotel and more around the Wall Street area. Like I said earlier, this part of the city is so weird because the streets are so small. Sometimes GPS doesn't even work, hence why I got lost trying to meet my mom at a coffee shop which I figured out after the fact I had passed like 5 times haha! Well anyway, I finally found my way to Joe and the Juice for another coffee. By this time in the day, it was probably 4:30. If you've been keeping track (you probably haven't lol), that means all I had to eat that day was 3 coffees and a muffin. I think this is what New York does to people! 


After our late afternoon coffee, my mother and I enjoyed happy hour at some really fancy hotel bar near Wall Street with her coworker. I was way under-dressed in leggings and a denim jacket (my uniform the entire weekend by the way) but we had such a nice time! 

We then headed back to pick up our luggage and switch to the hotel we'd be staying in for the rest of the weekend, the Renwick Hotel. The Renwick is on 40th and Lexington in Midtown, super close to Grand Central, so it was a great central location the entire weekend. I wish I had taken pictures of the room because it was so artsy and modern and much more roomy than we expected! We both agreed we'd stay there again in a heartbeat and the rates were really great! 



By that time we were starving and all we wanted was real New York pizza. The sweet concierge at the hotel recommended Patsy's Pizzeria which was only a block or two from our hotel and delicious! Highly, highly recommend the arugula salad, fried eggplant, and their pizza obviously! 



After our lovely dinner, my mom was itching to do something very quintessential New York and go to a rooftop bar so we found one at the Pod51 Hotel in Midtown. We had to wait to get in because there was a limit but we were able to have a beer at the bar in the lobby before and the wait was well worth it. We were both exhausted (hello I walked 11 miles total that day)  but it really was cool up there. You could even see the empire state building (excuse the terrible photo)! After only one drink, manhattans duh, we headed back to our hotel to rest up for our second full day! 

       

More on our trip to New York to come! Wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving :)



No comments :

Post a Comment